You are here
Homeopathy offers a selection of remedies for the treatment of heartburn and acute acid reflux symptoms.
Heartburn is one of the most common complaints of pregnant women, perhaps because hormonal changes relax the esophagus, allowing acid to back up. Try cutting out spicy and greasy foods, and sleep with your head and shoulders elevated. Ginger tea can be helpful if you drink it before or during a meal, rather than when you actually have heartburn. One of these homeopathic remedies may also bring relief:
- Arsenicum album: The individual may complain of burning pains felt in the stomach with food backing up into the esophagus. This is accompanied by burning pains all the way up to the throat. There may be severe, watery, burning, yellow diarrhea. Many of the symptoms will feel better while drinking hot drinks like tea, or by applying hot applications, like a heating pad. They may be thirsty for small, frequent sips of cold water, their mental state may be anxious, restless and fearful of being left alone.
- Carbo vegetalis: Bitter, sour, rancid burping along with nausea and a very bloated abdomen are typical; burping gives you temporarily relief. You may feel worse after rich, high-fat food. You crave fresh air and want the windows open and fans turned on. You feel physically exhausted and mentally sluggish, but when you lie down the indigestion is worse. You tend to have cold hands and feet and varicose veins.
- Nux vomica: The individual may complain of stomach pains of all types including burning, bloating, aching, constipation, nausea, belching and the feeling of stomach digest and acid backing up into the throat. Characteristics, which help determine this remedy, are a brusque temperament; similar to the overworked, high powered business man/woman who is very intense. He or she may be bossy and easy to anger. This individual often eats and drinks alcohol in excess. He/She desires coffee, spicy food, fatty foods and other stimulants. The person needing Nux vomica is inclined to overdo everything, all of which contribute to his acid reflux symptoms.
- Phosphorus: The individual needing Phosphorus for heartburn will complain about burning pains felt in the abdomen, bloating and a feeling of fullness accompanied by great thirst for icy cold drinks, which are vomited back up shortly after becoming warm in the stomach. Belching and vomiting of undigested food are characteristic of the person needing phosphorus. The person is mild-mannered, and seeks company and affection.
- Pulsatilla: The heartburn comes on at different times of the day and after eating various kinds of foods (especially rich, greasy ones). Burps have a sour, bitter taste. Stomach and abdomen feel empty (or sensation of a hole), with gurgling and rumbling in the evening, and pressing pains. You feel better in the fresh air. The individual's personality is sweet, gentle, whiny and tearful. They are afraid of being alone and desire sympathy.